Lakers Take the Title of Champions

Robert Caminiti, Staff Writer

The NBA is heading into free agency and the NBA Draft where the teams from last year will either improve or lower their chances of winning the Finals. While rumors of big names wanting out of their old teams have been spreading like wildfire, let’s look back at the forgotten finals. Students around the school don’t even remember any top plays that happened, but still know the Lakers won.  Some even forgot that the game happened; Senior Aidan Mclaughlin stated, “I don’t even remember when the finals happened.” 

In the 2020 NBA Finals the Lakers beat the Miami Heat 106-93 in Game 6. The Lakers were led by their two superstars Lebron James and Anthony Davis. they were dominant throughout the whole playoffs. Their role players stepped up big time in the final game. Lebron finished with a triple double, having 28 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists. He was named the Finals MVP and averaged 29.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and 8.5 assists through the six games. Anthony Davis was the head of their defense having big blocks in crucial times and was a horse on the defensive boards. In Game 6 he had 19 points, 15 rebounds as well as two blocks. Although the Finals this year were not talked about as much as usual, people still remember the Lakers being dominant. Junior Curtis Casmir claimed, “I remember the Lakers in general being a dominant team over the heat.” The Heat were the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference while the Lakers stood at number one. They gave a good fight winning two out of six but due to injuries and the inability to stop the Lakers’ dynamic duo they could not reach the finish. 

Now during free agency the Lakers are trying to make a big trade between the San Antonio Spurs to improve their chances for next year’s season. Rumors have been going around that the Lakers are willing to give up Danny Green and Kyle Kuzma as well as a draft pick for Demar Derozan who is an underrated shooting guard. He will give diversity to the scoring options. He is an amazing mid-range shooter and knows how to get to the basket. He will improve their chances tremendously, possibly making them go back to back.