Thank You, Mr. Gomez

Katherine Olson, Staff Writer

Mr. Gomez, Mepham’s principal since 2017, has recently been appointed as the district’s Assistant Superintendent for Personnel and Administration. Though the Mepham community is sad to see Mr. Gomez go, we are excited for the new opportunities that the central administration holds for him.

Mr. Gomez began teaching in 2003 as a business teacher. He first student-taught at the Queens Technical High School in Long Island City, going on to become a business teacher at Baldwin High School in 2004. In 2010, Mr. Gomez came to the Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District, first beginning as the assistant principal at Grand Avenue Middle School. Mr. Gomez then went on to work at Calhoun prior to his position as principal of Mepham High School.

During his time at Mepham, Mr. Gomez has emphasized positivity and a growth mindset. Mr. Gomez has also made an effort to create a genuine connection with students, from visiting leadership classes to participating in school events. His leadership helped to unify Mepham during the COVID-19 pandemic, creating a safe and comprehensible policy for students. His positivity and leadership will be missed by students. However, Mepham welcomes Mr. Anthony DeMartinis, who will be the principal beginning in the 2022-2023 school year.