Home, Work, Homework

Annie Zomback, Opinion Editor

With Advanced Placement classes, sports and clubs, and massive amounts of homework, it is difficult to understand how high school students have time to accomplish anything outside of school. Figure in the price of gas, food, and savings for college, the desire to have a paying job is amplified for many students and causes them to face the issue of fitting it into their school schedule. Should students have a job? Does it take away too much time for studies or personal time? Or, does it give students a sense of independence and responsibility?

As a student who has worked part time since I was fourteen, I am very thankful for my work experience. Whether it was tutoring or waitressing, I feel that the ability of multitasking and time management is very beneficial. Additionally, earning money rather than having it handed to you gives it its true value. Anyone who has worked with customer service knows how important manners are whether they are in a restaurant or retail store. Additionally, it provides a real world experience that can be very beneficial. Senior Daniel Lanza, who worked at an accounting firm his junior year said, “There’s a difference between learning accounting in a classroom setting and actually being able to do it.” No matter what type of job it is, the experiences a student can achieve early on from it are invaluable.

However, working part time may not be the best idea for every student. A job can provide for added stress and take too much time away from activities like homework or relaxing time, which are both necessary for a successful student. With nightly homework, studying, and other extra-curricular activities, is it really in the student’s best interest to juggle a job as well? Though having a part time job is beneficial in many aspects, it is important to choose one that can easily fit into one’s schedule. It is up to the student to decide if they can handle the additional obstacle.