Homecoming, Once Again Successful

Courtney Blom, Staff Writer

Homecoming is an important time for Mepham High School. There are many fun activities, both on and off the field, that everyone can participate in. For the week before homecoming, students and faculty members participated in Spirit Week. Each day had fun and unique themed days. Monday: Pajama Day, Tuesday: Mismatch Day for underclassmen, Formal Day for seniors, Wednesday: Sports Jersey Day, Thursday: Camouflage Day, and Friday: Class Color Day.

On Friday, everyone in Mepham was amped up and excited for the homecoming events. When students got to school, they were dazzled by the superb decorations around the school. Each grade level had their own hallway filled with decorations. It definitely brought up the school spirit. After school, Pirate Fest began. Different clubs set up booths and students and faculty members got to take a look at them. There were many activities and food for everyone to enjoy.

Ms. Thompson, a teacher at Mepham High School, said, “Homecoming’s Pirate Fest was great; it was a wonderful event with a tremendous amount of school spirit.”

After Pirate Fest, came the Pep Rally. All of Mepham’s fall sports teams got to come out onto the field. The sports were Varsity Football, Varsity Kickline, JV Football, Girls Cross Country, Boys Cross Country, Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Boys Badminton, JV Cheerleading, Varsity Cheerleading , Varsity Tennis, Boys Volleyball, and Girls Volleyball. In between the sports teams coming out, Varsity Cheerleading and Varsity Kickline performed a routine for the crowd. Then, the homecoming nominees. Everyone was on the edge of their seat to find out who won homecoming king and queen. The winners were Anthony Novello and Samantha Bello. The festivities continued when Mr. Arthur McQuillan, the Honorary Grand Marshal of the game, and his family and friends came out onto the field to help celebrate this occasion.

Freshman Kathryn McNerney had this to say about the day: “I thought homecoming was a lot of fun and a great way to start off high school.”

Pep Rally was a success, and many people were very excited for the football game between Mepham and Valley Stream Central. In the first quarter, Mepham scored a touchdown and a field goal. In the second quarter, the score stayed the same. During halftime, the Mepham band played some songs for the spectators, while Varsity cheer and Varsity kickline did more routines that had the crowd going wild. In the third quarter, the game escalated and tensions rose because Mepham was having a close game. At one point the teams were tied. But in quarter four, Mepham scored a touchdown and the crowd went wild. At the end of the homecoming game, Mepham won! The score was Mepham 28 to Valley Stream Central 13. Mepham’s 2018 homecoming was a smashing success and students, parents, and faculty members all enjoyed the activities throughout the day.