Getting to Know Mr. Brandofino

Julia Collins, Staff Writer

As a member of the band, I was eager to find out more about my new teacher, Mr. Brandofino. He is replacing our beloved Mr. Lotze, so he has big shoes to fill. I sat down with him in the band room after school one October afternoon and asked him about his background and career.

Was music always your passion?

Yes, I played the saxophone in 4th grade and everything in my life involved music. It made sense for me to choose music as my career.

Where did you study music and when did you start teaching?

I went to the University of Delaware and graduated in 2009. The September right after graduation I got my first teaching job.

What instruments do you play and which is your absolute favorite? Are there any you would like to try?

I play all instruments but saxophone is my favorite. Also, I would love to try out the didgeridoo.

Who are your favorite artists?

I was blown away by Joni Mitchell’s song “Blue”; it was really significant for my career. I also really like Florence and the Machine and anything 80’s pop.

What was the best concert you have ever attended?

The Foo Fighters were a lot of fun at Citi Field. I also enjoyed Bryan Adams as he is very talented, and Idina Menzel at Tilles Center.

Why did you want to become a band teacher and what is the best part?

It was the next step in the trajectory for me. My favorite thing is that it is never boring.

What are your goals/plans for the Mepham band?

Coming in during a period of change in the Mepham band from Mr. Neiderman to Mr. Lotze, I intend on continuing the streak of great teachers. I would like to work on how the band can grow together. It is a goal of mine to expose all of my students to the world of music, have great performances and go on trips. I want every person to know who they are musically.

What are you most looking forward to while working at Mepham?

I have only taught at middle schools for the past 10 years where they [the students] are still kids. At Mepham, the students are more intellectually developed so they can grow as people in the real world. High school students have greater music integrity.

After talking to Mr. Brandofino, it was obvious to me that he has so much passion for music and teaching. I think we are off to a great start! Let’s all wish him good luck during his first year as a Pirate!