What Did High-Schoolers Watch During Quarantine?

Hannah Rubin, Staff Writer

When you were stuck at home, what did you do? The answers definitely vary from person to person; however’ one thing that many people can agree upon is watching TV. There were many shows that high-schoolers everywhere were talking about during this time. 

One of the most talked about shows that students discovered over quarantine was “All American.” “All American” is a show about a high school football player from South Crenshaw named Spencer James and his life as he is recruited to be on a team in Beverly Hills. His life is drastically altered by the different worlds that come together to form his new life. The show follows not only his life but also the lives of the people he cared about including, his mother, his brother, his coach, his friends from South Crenshaw and his friends from Beverly Hills. This show is a story of determination, overcoming obstacles, navigating high school, and so much more. It is a drama that will bring you to tears at times because of its depiction of the challenges of racial barriers that are still very present in the United States today. This powerful show is one that comes highly recommended by people all across the country. 

“Outer Banks” is another teen drama that was watched by millions of teens during quarantine. This Netflix original is an action-adventure mystery teen drama. “Outer Banks” is about a group of teenagers living in the Outer Banks of North Carolina who are on a mission to solve the mystery of the missing father of one of the main characters, John B. The engaging characters as well as the intriguing plot drew many teenagers into the show in the first episode, and caused many to watch the ten episode season in a matter of a few days. Its popularity convinced Netflix to renew this show for a second season, and fans of this show are eagerly awaiting for the next season to be released. 

Additionally, “On My Block” was another show that swept the nation during quarantine. This show is about the challenges and triumphs faced by a group of high school students in South Central Los Angeles. Many high school students were able to relate to a lot of the drama that occurred between the main characters who were all close friends. That aspect of the plot was very engaging to a lot of their audience and one of the many reasons why this show was so popular. 

Many teens also started, caught up with, or rewatched some familiar favorites. When students wanted something funny to add a little laughter to offset the uncertainty of the pandemic, they watched “The Office,” “Family Guy,” and “The Good Place.” When they wanted something emotional and dramatic, they caught up with “Grey’s Anatomy,” and when they wanted something lighthearted and fun they watched classics like “Gilmore Girls,” “Friends,” and “The Simpsons.” These shows and many more helped to distract students from the chaos of the world. 

Whether it was a brand new show that was released at the start of quarantine or a show that has been on for years, one thing that most students were able to agree upon was that these shows helped them pass what felt like years worth of time during the months of quarantine.