The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Flowers in Antarctica

Nicolette Crawson

In late September, 2023, scientists discovered plants blooming and spreading in Antarctica. These plants are the Antarctic Hair Grass and Antarctic Pearlwort. These two plants have been spreading more than ever before, and scientists believe that it is an effect of climate change. Antarctica is known for being a barren land of snow and ice, but with these plants spreading, your views of Antarctica may have to change. To support the claim that climate change is the cause of the rapid spreading of plants on Antarctica, unusually high temperatures have been recorded in what is supposed to be the coldest place on Earth. Scientists recorded a heat wave in Antarctica during 2023, with temperatures reaching 39 degrees Celecius more than average temperatures there. 

All of this newfound information is worrying both scientists and the people. They fear for the environment and habitats in Antarctica, and are trying to find ways to preserve the environment there. However, with the warmer temperatures it is likely that the snow on Antarctica will begin to melt, leaving behind more and more land for plants to grow, and new habitats to form. This could endanger many animals including polar bears and many species of fish and penguin who live in Antarctica. Since Antarctica is unique in it’s freezing cold temperature and icy landscape, the current inhabitants will have nowhere to go if the ice melts and temperatures drastically increase. ette