The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Homecoming 2023

Homecoming+2023
Josh Gilmore

Rain couldn’t stop the Mepham Pirates from playing the homecoming football game! The game took place on Saturday, October 7th at 5 p.m. when the weather was expected to be 59 degrees with an 86% chance of rainfall. The Pep Rally was planned for 2 p.m., but was unfortunately canceled due to the weather being extensively rainy. There were questions of the actual game getting canceled, but the Mepham Football Team played through the rain like the true pirates they are. This was the second game in a row of torrential downpour for the Pirates, with more to come in the following weeks. For the Homecoming Court, the nominated kings were Ibrahim Alam, Kieran Kehoe and Josh Ramdayal and the nominated queens were Kristen McCoy, Grace Pantelis and Julia Amon. With the announcement at halftime, the class of 2024 homecoming king and queen were revealed to be Ibrahim Alam and Kristen McCoy! Congratulations to them both! During the game we had multiple amazing plays by our Mepham Players. Senior and Quarterback Kevin White threw two touchdown passes with one of them being a 30 yard pass to senior, Steven Mulqueen. Senior Jake Lechleitner caught a 15 yard throw from Quarterback Kevin White to score the second touchdown. The Mepham Varsity Football Team took an unfortunate loss to New Hyde Park 22-15, but a great effort was put forth by our team. The homecoming halftime show is always redeeming, as the Mepham Kickline and Cheer Team put forward amazing performances!  Captains Sadie Hellerer and Elena Hechtman for Kickline, and Captains Grace Pantelis, Marrissa Catalina and Olivia Guarascio of the Cheer team did a spectacular job leading their teams! Overall the game was terrific and one to remember for the school spirit shown in the student section and the hard work put in by the football, kickline and cheer teams!