A Gritty Season: Girls’ JV Lacrosse

Amanda Grossman, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, May 8, the girls JV lacrosse team finished out their season with a loss against MacArthur, making their record 6-6. The team was made up of 19 freshman and sophomores. The top three scorers were Freshman Sara Forchelli with 25 goals, Sophomore Sam Rehab with 22 goals and Freshman Mia McElwee with 12 goals. Throughout the 12 game season, sophomore goalie Avery Saccio had 38 saves. Also, Sophomore Grace Quinn, who played goalie for the first time this season and played goalie for 2 ½ games, had 19 saves.

One highlight of the season was the team’s win against Friends Academy on March 25. After being down for a good portion of the game, the team made a comeback. The team finished off their season by losing to MacArthur by a score of 12-9 after playing man down the first half of the game. During the last game, Sara Becca and Elizabeth Reyes each scored their first goal ever. The team fought hard to comeback after being down by a decent amount in the first half.

Coach Markowitz said, “Overall, we had some really great challenging wins this season. It was awesome to have multiple scorers throughout the whole season and to end with two girls scoring for the first time ever. This group of girls always worked hard in every game and never gave up.”

According to Assistant Coach Ouellette, “Throughout the year we faced challenging wins and losses. Despite this the girls always showed up everyday prepared and ready to play. Through their hard work and determination, all of our girls were able to mature as players and people. Ultimately we achieved our goal to improve on and off the field. We are very excited for the future of the girls lacrosse program here at Mepham.”

Photo by: Casey Fahrer.