A Christmas Carol Review

Artina Krkuti, Staff Writer and Layout Editor

In November, Skull and Bones drama club put on the production of A Christmas Carol written by Charles Dickens, adapted by Romulus Linney. A Christmas Carol is a play about a mean-spirited and selfish old man named Ebenezer Scrooge who hates Christmas, played by the amazingly talented junior, Tyler Weinstein. He treats the townspeople and his employee terribly and eventually gets visited by three ghosts, the ghost of Christmas past, present and future. This was the perfect timing, just for the holiday season. Mr. Grosskreuz, the advisor of Skull and Bones says, “I think that the show went extremely well based on the feedback from the audience and the students in the production. It was really nice to do a piece of theater that anyone could see and find meaning in to get into the spirit of the holidays.”

The performance was overall outstanding; the cast and crew put in a lot of hard work and time to bring the show to life. Madison DePascale, assistant director says, “It was a fun show to do and I’m happy with how it turned out. Everyone worked really hard and it paid off.” Chloe Henderson, as the Ghost of Christmas Past, Aiden McCormack, as the Ghost of Christmas Present and Angelo Vergatos as the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come all put on outstanding performances alongside Tyler. After hours and hours at rehearsals, the show came together beautifully. Everything from the sets to the actors and actresses themselves, costumes and props were executed amazingly; even the English accents were on point. It felt as if we were actually in the 1800’s, when A Christmas Carol takes place. 

Besides the talented members of Skull and Bones, we had some outside actors and actresses become part of the show magic. Some of the children of Mepham’s staff members were also part of the show. It was so amazing to work with the kids because it added this component to the show that helped bring it all together: Julian and Nora Fiderer, Oliver Mattes, Carah and Casey McClenahan, Ryan McNeil, Sameena Partap and Jesse Pincus worked so hard and dedicated their time to help make the show incredible. Working with children is hard, especially in a production with so many cast members, but they were able to stay focused and they ended up doing an amazing job.

Being part of the crew for this play, I’ve seen how much work these talented individuals have put in every day at rehearsals. Bailey Peckman, stage manager, and Gabby Carlotti, assistant stage manager, helped the crew put together the scenes of the play, along with direction from Mr. G. Hair and makeup was done by a team of people, while some opted to do their own makeup. Since it takes place in the 1800’s, makeup was very light, but with help from Bailey Peckman, Gabby Carlotti, Abby Penny and the cast for doing their own makeup, that extra touch made the play that much more realistic. It’s not easy to put on a production of this size, due to the amount of scene changes and the density of the play itself. Being able to do a production of this size is because of the teamwork and cooperation from the cast and crew. We were able to pull it off and make an amazing show.