The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Caroling at Circle Drive

Circle Drive Caroling is a tradition that has been going on since 1946. Arranged by Mepham choir teacher Ms. Dimitriou, with the help of Circle Drive representative Nancy Schneider, Alumni Association board member Frank Setteducati and Alumni Association member Gemma Bienz, this event invites Mepham’s choirs, the Alumni Association, and local citizens to spend a night singing and getting into the holiday spirit. 

Circle Drive Caroling is an awesome way to unite the community and when asked about this wonderful event, Ms. Dimitriou said, “It is so beautiful to see choir members from the past and present gather together to sing carols and talk about their choir experiences. It is so amazing to hear stories about choir from many years ago, and to share current updates with alumni. This event enforces the idea that choir, and your experiences in choir, stay with you forever.” 

We also asked Setteducati some questions about Circle Drive Caroling and he said, “Caroling at Circle Drive began in the late 1940’s, as best as we can pinpoint it. Following a reunion concert in 1979 (which also resulted in the founding of the Alumni Association as we know it now), alumni became a more integral part of the tradition. About 15 years ago, to encourage more alumni involvement and consistency, it was decided to always do it on the second Friday of December. It’s great to see how enthusiastically the current students have embraced the tradition and help to carry it on.”

The evening started with MephAcapella and students from Mepham’s concert choir singing carols such as “Silent Night” and “Deck the Halls.” After, some of the alumni who were in Mepham’s select choir when they were in high school led everyone in their rendition of “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” The crowd was encouraged to sing along and enjoy their night full of music. To finish off the last of the songs for the evening, MephAcapella sang “Without You, Without Them,” “I Want it That Way,” and some more carols. This amazing night ended with some treats provided by the Alumni Association and some time for the current choir students to talk with the alumni about their experiences at Mepham. It was a fun time had by all and a great way to start the holiday season. We hope that you all will come celebrate and sing with us next year.