The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Hottest day on record

People have known for years that the effects of climate change are slowly, yet dramatically changing our world everyday. Yet, not enough action has been taken to combat these harmful effects. As 2023 comes to an end, plastered on every news channel is 2023 is officially the hottest year on record. Along with this statistic, greenhouse gasses are continuously on the rise, a record level of surface temperatures and sea level rice and a record low in Antarctic sea ice. So what does this all mean? 

Species are closer towards extinction with the harm caused towards their habitats, and humans continue to be exposed to unpredictable weather, more severe storms, and shifting weather patterns. Reflecting back on the major events in 2023, people are now able to recognize the connections officially making 2023 the “hottest year.” 

Taking place in Antarctica a few months ago, the notable change of the sudden heat and melting glaciers destroyed the habitats of the animals that lived there. The environment was so hot that flowers had started to grow on the land— something scientists could review as negatively revolutionary. This groundbreaking discovery was only partially a part of 2023’s extreme heat. In June of 2023, the wildfires in Canada had set a record for total area burned in one season, reaching 18.8 million acres according to “Natural Resources Canada.” Those wildfires were caused by a combination of extreme dryness and heat. Turning the New York City and northeastern states skies orange, the wildfires led Americans to be exposed to air pollution that was five times the national level. 

The effects of this global warming can be traced back to the greenhouse gas emissions that trap the sun’s heat. According to the Global Carbon Project, greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuels are projected to reach a record 36.8 billion metric tons in 2023 which is an increase of 1.1% over 2022. ABC News comments that the most reliable solution right now is to immediately halt fossil fuel extraction which will stop the amount of greenhouse gasses being admitted into the air. However, the effects can be mitigated through a collective effort from everyone. Entering 2024, it is important for individuals to keep in mind how their everyday tasks can have a larger impact on the world around them; such as driving and trash separation. A few steps that can be taken include: cutting back on flying, minimizing car usage, recycling more, and avoiding products with a lot of packaging. With the collective effort of everyone, the world can be a better place for all.