The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Welcome back pirates

Welcome back, Pirates! As dreadful as entering a new school year can be with increased stress from schoolwork, it is also exciting because of new opportunities, classes, and seeing your friends more often. As we enter the 2023-2024 school year, many students have noticed the reinforced phone-pocket policy in our classrooms. From the perspective of a student this may seem pointless, but the teachers are definitely happier seeing their students less distracted by their electronic devices during class. 

A new school year also means Mepham’s thriving catalog of activities, clubs and sports are back! As usual, we kicked off the school year with our traditional homecoming, however, because of the rainy weather, the Pirate Fest  and pep rally were canceled. This is the first year that Mepham is having a night game for homecoming which was exciting for the student body to experience. The Mepham Cheerleaders and Pirettes each showcased their talents during halftime with an amazing performance. Mepham unfortunately suffered a loss against New Hyde Park but our spirits are not broken! We will continue to look forward to one of our biggest events of the year, Battle of the Classes in November and St. Baldrick’s sometime in 2024. The excitement has already begun, and coming up shortly is the Drama Club’s production of “Puffs” an adaptation of Harry Potter. 

If you’re lost on what clubs to participate in, here are a few ideas. The Mepham Acapella and Skull and Bones Drama, for our talented students, LEO and Key Club for those who want to get involved in the community, Mepham Muslim Student Association and Mepham Jewish Student Union for our students who want to connect with their customary practices, and so much more! And of course, if you are someone who has a passion for writing and has ideas you want to be expressed join our Buccaneer team— we would love to have you.

To our incoming underclassmen, we wish you best of luck as you start your high school journey. Remember to stay diligent, try your hardest and take risks. To our seniors, good luck on your application process and don’t let senioritis get the best of you. The entire Buccaneer staff hopes everyone, students and faculty have a great 2023-2024 school year! Go Pirates!!