The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Super Bowl Halftime show mixed opinions

On February 11, 2024, Usher performed at the Super Bowl Halftime Show.  Usher started his performance by strutting down the stage to the song “Caught Up,” released in 2004. 

Alicia Keys along with H.E.R., Ludacris, Lil Jon, and more also made an appearance during this show.  Alicia Keys played the piano on stage to one of her biggest hits, “If I Ain’t Got You.”  Usher and Alicia Keys also sang a duet to this song as well as the song “My Boo.” 

Jermain Dupri was next on stage.  He is an American rapper and singer who did a duet to the song “Confessions Part II” with Usher.  H.E.R, on next, played a guitar solo while Usher did a costume change.  He came back on roller skates dancing and shocked the crowd. The crowd was also surprised with how he danced in unison with his backup dancers.  

Lil Jon sang his famous song, “Turn Down for What,” in the audience as the crowd went crazy. This song was transitioned into Usher’s final song of the show, “Yeah!” This was the last song performed and Ludacris joined in for it as well.  Ludacris sang the rap section of the song with Will.i.am and the lights flashed. This closed the Super Bowl Halftime Show and many people were impressed with Usher’s performance!  

Although many were impressed by the show, others thought that it was dedicated to millennials.  Some people from Generation Z did not know a lot of the songs and were overall disappointed with the show.   Sophomore Annabella LaRocco had very strong opinions on the superbowl halftime show.  She thought that “it was extravagant and it really highlighted the talent of singers today.” Sophomore Claire Arnoff also had some opinions on the halftime show.  She thought that “this halftime show was a downgrade from previous years and I think that they should have used more well-known songs that more people watching would’ve recognized.” It will be interesting to see what the Super Bowl Halftime Show looks like next year!