Welcoming Mr. DelRosario

Nathan Rosen, Photography Editor

As everyone knows our school has added a new member to our administration, Mr. DelRosario. He is well known by his nickname “Mr. Del”. He joined Mepham’s staff at the beginning of this year, coming from Grand Avenue Middle School as an assistant principal. Mr. Del will be fulfilling the same role here, and I was lucky enough to hold an interview with him to learn more.

Mr. Del and I began our discussion with getting to know him. He shared that he has three children, twins Jackson and Ellie in 3rd grade and his five year old, Ashton, who is turning 5 in October. He has been married to his wife for 13 years, and with them living locally she is a teacher at Park Avenue Elementary School. Mr. Del admired his neighbors and town for being very respectful of him living in the Merrick school district, keeping their personal lives separate from their school lives where some of them are his students.

Mr. DelRosario originally studied accounting in his first year of college before switching to education as a sophomore. He stated, “The small business background has probably helped me in ways as an administrator that I don’t even know.” Within education he studied early childhood and got a teaching job for 5th graders. He then worked in the middle school before joining our staff earlier this year. When asked about working at the high school level he mentioned, “I never thought I would be in a high school, but I’m glad I am here now and I’m very excited.” Mr. Del said he was considering pursuing his own middle school principal position, but after Mr. DeTommaso asked him about being an assistant principal he was glad to take the opportunity.

His position at Grand was filled by the former math chairperson for Grand and Mepham, Mr. Riccardi. Mr. Del said he was pleased to have Mr. Riccardi fill his former position and plans on helping Mr. Riccardi along the way. Mr. Del also shared that when he became an assistant principal, he got a lot of help from the person whose spot he filled. Interestingly enough, Mr. Del stepped in for Mr. Gomez and he says that Mr. Gomez was very helpful in assuming his new role.

Mr. Del is the grade administrator for the current 10th and 12th graders, and is also in charge of the Art, Business, Music, English, and Social Studies departments. Mr. Del is also responsible for the broadcasting program that he said he is excited to work with. Mr. Del said, “I already have a connection to Mepham and it probably has more to do with you guys [students] than anything else.” Mr. Del attributes his familiarity with the parents and students with the easy transition and thanks everybody for accepting him with open arms.

He noticed some differences between middle and high school, including the larger problems and the larger rewards. Mr. Del said that we have more direction, and a better eye on the future. He stated, “I also have a lot of learning to do,” when asked about the larger issues that arise in high school. He also stated, “There needs to be a change in my approach. I have to work a little harder on understanding where your lives are… With you guys being older there is more individuality and everybody has their own ins and outs I need to learn about.” Mr. Del emphasized the necessity of respect in this building on all levels for it to function well.

At the conclusion of our interview, he said Mepham has intangibles that make it a great place and he sees it already in the two weeks when the interview took place. He said everyone here buys into the school and that it really creates something special. Mr. DelRosario concluded our interview by thanking everyone here for making the transition so easy, and we are mutually thankful to have him here.