The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Saving lives with NYBC

According to the American Red Cross, it is estimated that 4.5 million Americans will require a blood transfusion each year, equating to 43,000 pints of donated blood used daily. On average, someone needs blood every two seconds. However, the blood supply is rapidly depleting. Due to the pandemic in 2020, rates of respiratory illness increased, and nationwide blood drives were postponed, leading to a major blood shortage.

In an effort to address this, Mepham’s Key Club partners with the New York Blood Center biannually to host school-wide blood drives. In November, we saw a record breaking donation of 124 pints, and since each pint of blood can potentially save up to three lives, a total of 372 lives could be saved!! Key Club and NYBC recently held their second annual Blood Drive on February 28, 2024, in the North Gym. After such success in the fall, anticipation for a strong turnout was high, and with a final donation of 70 pints, potentially saving up to 210 lives, we were not disappointed!

Under the guidance of Mrs. Hanley, Key Club officers and members spent weeks preparing for the event by promoting the Blood Drive and encouraging peers and faculty to sign up to donate. Members dedicated their day to checking students in or volunteering at the event. Mrs. Hanley had this to say about the event: “It’s been an honor to be organizing these blood drives with NYBC and student leaders in Key Club. I’m so proud of those students who donated, especially those for the first time, and how many lives they could save! It’s an amazing act of service!Many students generously donated, with first-time donors receiving a “Blood Donor Card” in the mail to simplify any future donations. Notably, not just students but faculty members also participated in donating, including Mrs. Wisey, Mrs. Montuori, Mrs. Hayes, Ms. Hayes, Mr. Graziano, Mr. Mazeika, Mrs. Spargifiore, Mrs. Greco, Mrs. Mallon, Ms. Rubenstein, and Mrs. Dell’Olio, whom we give great thanks to.

We extend our heartfelt gratitude to our administration, security, and custodial team for their unwavering support of this life-saving event. Key Club is honored to host this event twice a year and eagerly anticipates seeing everyone again in the fall. Whether you come to donate and save a life or simply for the snacks, it is an incredibly rewarding experience!