The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Model UN trip

Students checking out the views in Central Park at the start of the trip. Photo courtesy of Mr. Grosskruez.

Mepham High School’s Model UN club recently went on their annual trip to New York City to compete in the international competition. Representing the Dominican Republic, students took on the challenge at Hilton Midtown. For Mepham students, this was a short hour-long trip to the city, but to many others, it was a trip of a lifetime. Taking on New York City, students came from Italy, Canada, Germany and more. Junior Jacob Sarduay expresses that “Model UN provides a safe space where everyone is friendly and a place where no one is judged.” 

The challenge took place in sessions that ran up to four hours spread across four days to discuss current world issues and come up with solutions, some examples of topics being elections and migrants. During one of the debates, an intensive competition broke out where students around the world were required to write a collaborative paper in groups while also passing notes to different countries as a way of communication. Despite not winning the competition, the trip was still memorable and enjoyable for all. President of the club and junior, Danya Zaidi, believes that “the relationships built on the trip are unforgettable.” The club members hope to see the Model UN club continue to grow throughout the years and hopes for success in future competitions.