Valedictorian 2020: Alyssa Dioguardi

Sreeshty Ray, News Editor

Photo courtesy of Yearbook. (4591)

Upon first walking through the halls of Mepham High School in her freshman year, Alyssa Dioguardi had already made an impression on many of her classmates at Grand. From the beginning, Alyssa’s parents and guidance counselor believed she had the ability to be one of Mepham’s top students. Alyssa would come to wow teachers and peers alike throughout her years in Mepham through her dedication to her studies.

I’ve known Alyssa Dioguardi personally for several years, and I can honestly say no one is surprised that she is our Valedictorian; her work ethic surpasses all standards. Learning truly excites her, and Alyssa absorbs information beyond what is required for a test. Alyssa is also truly one of the most genuine and humble people that I’ve encountered at school. She is always willing to participate in class discussions and help others when they need it.

Alyssa has excelled in some of the school’s most difficult AP classes like AP Chemistry, AP Physics 1, AP Biology, AP World and U.S. History, and AP Psychology to name a few, earning multiple fours and fives. She has also participated in Mepham’s advanced science research program, working with Dr. Kommor to develop her own experiment and research project. Alyssa’s study, “‘Hoodies or Hoodlums?’- An Investigation of Hoodies on the Perception of Character” investigated how people perceive individuals based on their gender and whether or not they are wearing a hoodie. Running statistical tests and being able to use information that she learned in her AP Psychology class made this an extra rewarding experience for her. Alyssa’s research gained immense recognition, placing her a spot in the second round of LISEF and gaining publication in two publications, including the “Journal of Dawning Research” by the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. She has also won several awards acknowledging her dedication to science, including the Bausch and Lomb Awards, and St. John’s University Women in Science Award.

Alyssa’s contributions are not limited to science. She also has some impressive accomplishments in the realm of English, having been published in the American Library of Congress’ Imagine, as well in Mepham’s very own Fragments. In ninth grade, Alyssa also received recognition for her poetry by the Irish Cultural Society. Alyssa has also placed top five in the school’s annual Poetry Out Loud competition.

On top of achieving academically, Alyssa has racked up a heavy list of extracurriculars that she is passionate in. Alyssa served as Co-President of both the History and National Spanish Honor Society as well as President of the Class of 2020 during her freshman and sophomore years. She has also been a member of chamber orchestra and both the math and science team at Mepham. Alyssa has also been active as a student representative for SITE meetings. Outside of school, Alyssa has been an active participant of community theater. In fact, she was preparing to perform in Plaza Theatrical Productions Performing Arts Academy’s production of Frozen, prior to cancellation due to COVID-19.

Aside from her academic achievements and role in several activities, Alyssa will be best remembered by her friends and teachers for her fun and compassionate personality. In school, some of her favorite memories can be found in Mr. Achtziger’s AP English Language class, Ms. Parlagreco’s AP Chemistry class, or Dr. Kommor’s AP Biology class. Balancing her school and social life has been a critical part of Alyssa’s high school experience. She makes time for friends on Friday nights and weekends. Anyone who knows Alyssa also is aware that she makes sure to spend time with her family, with her younger siblings being a major part of her life.

Alyssa plans to attend the University of Virginia in the fall; she is unsure of what she wants to study next because her interests lie in so many different areas. Alyssa’s curious spirit leads her to wanting to explore different subjects more before she settles on a major. However, there is no doubt that whatever she ultimately pursues, she will excel. Congratulations, Alyssa Dioguardi, on all of your accomplishments; we can’t wait to see where your passions take you!