Salutatorian 2020: Spencer Mattes

Aidan King, Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Yearbook.

I was given the chance to speak with Spencer Mattes, the class of 2020 Salutatorian. He is an incredibly hard worker and his grades show it. High school is a busy time in a person’s life where they have to juggle all of their extracurriculars and responsibilities. Keeping your grades up through all these demands is not at all easy but Spencer was able to overcome all the challenges and focus on his school work while learning as much as he could from his teachers. It is clear he came into high school with goals, and he should be applauded for how well he’s done to achieve those goals.

What does being the salutatorian mean to you?
It is an honor to be recognized for the dedication and effort I have put towards furthering my academic capabilities. I would not have achieved this prestigious position without the guidance of my teachers, friends, and family.

What have been some of the most demanding and challenging courses you’ve taken?
Over the course of four years at Mepham, I have taken a myriad of difficult courses. However, I would say that AP Physics 1 and AP Physics C were the two most challenging courses I took. The demanding nature of these classes definitely made the experience more memorable.

What other achievements have you been recognized for in your high school career?
Science, Spanish, History, National, and Math honor societies, AP Scholar With Distinction, 1st place in the Spanish 4H poetry competition, National Spanish Exam Silver Award, Bronze Award on the Math team, and Seal of Biliteracy.

When you first came to Mepham what were your academic goals?
My primary objective in high school was to accrue as much experience as possible in advanced college level courses. Besides providing a substantial challenge, these more difficult courses often covered the minute and esoteric details of various subjects, making them inherently more interesting. I wanted to explore high level mathematics and science in particular, because I envision myself pursuing a career in these subjects in the future.

What will you be majoring in in college?
I intend on majoring in Physics, but that is subject to change.

What things did you do that made it possible for you to be salutatorian?
My consistent work ethic was a vital part of my academic success. I was always motivated to study, practice, and ask questions so I could fully understand the content.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to achieve their academic goals?
Always ask questions if you are uncertain about a topic or concept. Fully understanding the content, down to the seemingly trivial details, is the key to thriving academically.