Homecoming 2021: A Huge Success

Thomas Mauro and Ava Scheffler, Staff Writers

The countdown for homecoming began with spirit week which was a hit this year. The first day was pretty comfortable in pajamas for Mopey Monday. Next it was Surfers vs. Bikers for Teen Beach Tuesday. Wild West Wednesday flooded the halls with cowboy hats and boots galore. By Thursday it was Time to Work where everyone wore their current job uniform or future career outfit. All of the fun events led up to Mepham Pride Day on Pep Rally Friday in celebration of homecoming Saturday. Unfortunately the weather postponed the pep rally to the following Friday, October 1.

When they were finally able to celebrate the fall teams, each squad was thrilled to perform. According to the cheerleading coach, Ms. Yunker, the “Girls choreographed their own dance for pep rally and homecoming. We are so excited.”

For the Mepham football team it was no easy task getting back on track after a rough 1-4 season last year. It was some changes in the backfield and some younger players that helped them navigate the start of the season to a 3-0 start. The roaring crowds supported their players at each event, home or away.

“I love how a lot of people came all the way out to Roslyn. It makes me super hopeful for a huge hoco crowd,” said Senior Karina Salmeri. And what a crowd it was. 

Saturday, September 25 started out with Pirate Fest from 12-2PM which has become an annual event. Clubs set up events, games, and tables of fun filled activities, and there were several food trucks on site. One of the most successful clubs at the event was the Class of 2023 which hosted a Spikeball Tournament to help raise money for prom. Students organized their teams to compete, have fun, and raise money for their senior year.   

The day concluded with a 63-30 football win over Glen Cove. Go Pirates!