The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Digital vs. paper SAT

The SAT, an exam every American junior dreads, has recently undergone significant modifications that have altered the entirety of the exam. The most recent SAT was the new digital exam that students took on March 9, 2024. Prior to this date, the exam was on paper; the last paper exam was given on December 2, 2023. 

A three hour long college entrance exam for American students to take in their junior year, the purpose of the test is to examine a student’s ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently. The SAT exam results aid in making college admission decisions and has recently become fully paperless. Students who took the March 9 SAT were to attend a digital “check-in” prior to the exam. This “check-in” was to confirm that the program “Bluebook” was downloaded and working competently on the students’ school-issued chromebook. Besides digitalization, the structure of the test was significantly altered to create a test that allows students to score to the best of their ability. One hour was removed from the exam, making it now 2 hours and 14 minutes with a 10-minute break between the Reading and Writing section and the Math section. The no-calculator portion of the math section was also removed, and students completed two math modules that permitted a calculator. The Reading and Writing section is also composed of two modules. Additionally, the questions given on the exam, specifically module two of both sections, differentiated based on the student’s performance on module one. For example, if a student had a high performance on module one of the math section, they would be given the harder level questions in their second module. 

The new digital SAT is presented to be more manageable and more relevant than its predecessor. After March 9, 2024, the exam will be given again on May 4 and June 1, 2024.