The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

In class or behind the screen?

Nicolette Crawson

The day before Thanksgiving, a virtual day was held in which students attended their classes on a google meets. On these google meets, the students followed their normal class schedules and were around 25 minute periods. The day started off at regular time and ended around 11AM. This is the second time this virtual day took place during this school year, however, many students wonder why these days are necessary. First, it is good to practice just in case something were to happen that is similar to the quarantine in 2020 with the resulting from the Covid-19 outbreak. Both positives and negatives can be said about this day.

From my perspective, the virtual day was beneficial because I felt that it was necessary to be prepared for anything spontaneous that could happen. Hypothetically, if we went into a quarantine again we would know how to handle it.It allowed students to stay home and not have to physically go to school just to leave in a few hours. It was something different and a different way of learning.It was also a different perspective on class and allows us to experience learning  through a screen . This day was both relaxing and less stressful and I think it was much needed for all students. Overall, it was a great way to end school before the Thanksgiving break. On the other hand, the virtual day could be viewed as “annoying” or “unnecessary” to a lot of students. This is because it is more difficult to pay attention when you’re in the comfort of your home in your pajamas. Learning over a screen may be difficult for some students since they are at home with many distractions around. Aside from students, it can also be difficult for teachers to productively teach over a shared screen— especially since teachers already have enough trouble getting students’ attention in class. 

I think there are more disadvantages than advantages to the virtual day. Personally, it was nice and relaxing but when it comes to school and learning information, I would rather learn in person where it is easier to process what is being taught. Other students and teachers may feel differently but I personally believe that it should either be in person or no school at all.