Students Speak

Kimberly Nadler, Layout & Photography Editor

Spring 2023 Edition

In the 30s and 40s, there was a section of the school newspaper where students were asked an opinion question. Starting last year, I have taken that idea and used the old questions for the new part of The Buccaneer, “Students Speak.” This question was asked of the Mepham students in 1943 and again in 2023.

“Do you think there should be more school dances?”

Answers from 2023:
Jaiden Zoller: No because I hate dancing and hate activities like that.
Ariel Gordon: I would prefer more school events like Pirate Fest rather than school dances.
Michael Costanza: I think there shouldn’t be more school dances because it is a one-time deal and a special day. It can also be a day where you can meet someone new and hang out with friends.
James Tarantino: No. I personally do not like to dance and I don’t think many people like to dance.
Sophia Zheng: Yes, any reason to get dressed up.
Drew Erickson: No, I don’t think there should be more school dances.There are a lot of people that do not go to it either because they’re too busy during the week, they feel uncomfortable about going, or they just do not want to go.
Aviel Roumer: Yes, because they are one of the best ways for new people to meet each other and socialize.
Ethan Adjei: Yes because it is all about the high school memories.
Brendan Ramirez: School dances need a comeback. They bring school culture and can be very enjoyable and raise money for the school. More kids will be able to enjoy better memories at school.
Adam Alvarez: No, I don’t think that there should be more school dances. I personally do not like dances therefore even if there were more I wouldn’t go.

Answers from 1943:
Peggy Heise: Yes, at least once a month.
Gloria LePanto: Yes, so the students will become more friendly.
Jacqueline Wahlers: Yes, we should have more social activities.
Leroy Watkins: No, because I can’t dance.
Val Damm: There is nothing like dancing.
Tom McCormick: Yes, definitely, especially after basketball-wrestling double-headers.
Al Brychosky: Sure would.
Margaret Wally: It wouldn’t hurt anyone, I guess.
Gerry O’Leary: Yes, because it would make some people happy.
Karl Sjoholm: Positively, who wouldn’t?
Chris Cobb: Why sure thing, that’s just what we want! Dances bring everybody together to have a sweet time. I’m for it 100%.