The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Phones taken away in class

Brianna Finn
Phone pockets in an Art classroom.

Throughout the years at Mepham High school nobody minded how much students used their electronic devices… until now, but why? Did teachers lose trust in students? This year, almost every teacher began reinforcing the phone pockets in their classrooms to reduce cellphone usage. Teachers think that it is distracting kids from their education because they have become addicted to their devices. Many students disagree with the phone pockets rule but there are two perspectives that can be observed on this topic.

The phone pockets take away the cellphone usage in class which is helpful for students’ education and it helps them pay more attention. All Bellmore-Merrick students are now given Chromebooks to use during class instead of phones to limit its usage. Students are still allowed to use their phones on passing and off periods, just not in class anymore. Without the phone pockets, students would lose the ability to be social and have normal conversations. Teachers want kids to interact with each other instead of being buried in their phones the whole time. But, are we not trusted? The other side of the argument is that teachers are not treating students as adults and that we should have the freedom to hold on to our phones. It makes sense but we’re in high school now, that should be over.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, kids have become so addicted to their phones that it has changed everything and made teachers doubt them. Students today can’t put their phones down which is why teachers were forced to enforce the phone holders. All kids know today is their phones and it has become an addiction that is detrimental to trying to help with that.

In my opinion as we’re getting older, we should have more control over what we choose to do with our cell phones. I feel that the phone holders are useless because no matter how hard teachers try to limit phone usage, students can’t help but disobey the rules. They’ll go to the bathroom and try to sneak devices out of the room. There are still many sides to this argument but as of now, that is how the teachers are dealing with the ongoing phone issue.