Students Speak

Kimberly Nadler, Layout & Photography Editor

February 2023 Edition

In the 30s and 40s, there was a section of the school newspaper where students were asked an opinion question. Starting last year, I have taken that idea and used the old questions for the new part of The Buccaneer, “Students Speak.” This question was asked of the Mepham students in 1944 and again in 2023.

“What would you do if you were a teacher?”

Answers from 2023:

Joseph Mordoff: Watch the World Cup in class.
Maximo Chiodi: I would probably teach. Most likely about how great I am and such.
Jonathan Bakay: Send kids to 125.
Phillip Berkowitz: I would have the students’ best interest. I would give multiple extra credit opportunities and drop the lowest test grade every quarter.
Maria Cirigliano: I would assign no homework and do a lot of projects.
Kyle McQuillan: If I was a teacher, I would give everyone free hundreds because I am so nice. Then, I would give everyone free candy because I am so nice. We will never do any work because I am so nice.
Lucas Paingankar: I would give all my kids 100. After that, I will probably be fired.
Anthony Grassi: I would not be a stickler about phones; if you fail it is not my fault. Also, I wouldn’t drown the kids in work, tests, quizzes, and essays.
Ryan Lechleitner: I would try and reach a middle ground regarding how strict I would act. I feel that students don’t like teachers who are excessively strict and therefore don’t take in as much from that teacher’s class as they should, but if a teacher is too easy going then the class will be out of control.
Sara Foley: I’d give my classes Jolly Ranchers.
Arisleiny Clase: I’d make sure my lessons are interactive.

Answers from 1940:

Harry LoRusso: I’d teach them a thing or two.
May McLachlan: I’d keep all the cute boys after school.
Jack Nuding: I’d give them a test every period so I could sleep.
Homer Hulsman: Make the best of a bad deal.
Frank Merklein: Quit!
Alice Pfau: I’d forget homework, chewing gum, and the people in the back of the room.
Vin Savona: I’d ask for a raise.
Bill Clausen: I’d act natural.
Les Banta: I’d quit because the kids don’t treat the teachers right.
Sam Price: I’d give myself up.