The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Students speak

In the 30s and 40s, there was a section of the school newspaper where students were asked an opinion question. Starting last year, I have taken that idea and used the old questions for the new part of The Buccaneer, Students Speak. This question was asked of the Mepham students in 1948 and again in 2024.

Who would you like to escort or be escorted by in a spring parade? Why?  (2024 answers)

Oliver Mattes: I would personally like my father to escort me. Mr. Mattes escorting me would be hilarious. He is quite the silly man, and it would be interesting to me. We would also be accompanied by R2D2 because he built it.

Nicholas Pariag: I would like the secret service to escort me dressed up in Easter attire. I would have lots of protection and feel powerful but still look festive.

Cosette Kozlik: My favorite actor, Norman Reedus. He is an amazing person and I feel like it would be awesome to walk in a parade with a famous person by my side. 

Sara Pittman: I would pick the Easter Bunny because it would be fun!

Tushar Khanijow: I would like to escort Drake because he’s inspired many others to do what they like to do using words of wisdom in his songs.

Raizel Bantoc: I would like to be escorted by the actor Alan Rickman because he played one of my favorite characters really well, and he seems like a total gentleman to everyone he’s met and a great husband to his wife.

Answers from 1948:

May Abrams: A gremlin in the Air Corps.

Abby Noselson: Mr. Weaver, and maybe he would give me some of the answers to the history exam.

Wanda Michalicki: I’d love to be proudly walking with my Soldier Dream man. Unfortunately, it’ll only be a dream, for he’s in North Africa right now. 

Helen Woelfle: Any eligible man.

Thelma Heuerman: With a certain dashing pilot that just left for overseas duty.

Edith Becker: Frank Sinatra! (And he could sing for me, too!)

Dot Spatz: By that certain tall, dark, and handsome individual.

Jeanne Dolon: Well, with my Marine, Perry Hatch, in Idaho right now, I guess I’ll be content walking with the Easter Bunny.

Next issue’s questions: What are your plans for after high school graduation?

Have an answer? Click here!