The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Bellmore-Merrick CHSD wins AP medium-sized district of the year

Terry+Redican+presents+the+award+to+Michael+Harrington%2C+Superintendent+of+Bellmore-Merrick+CHSD.+
Kimberly Nadler
Terry Redican presents the award to Michael Harrington, Superintendent of Bellmore-Merrick CHSD.

On December 5, 2023, there was a surprise assembly here at Mepham. All three high schools’ mascots were here, cameras were everywhere, and there were some unfamiliar faces in the auditorium. That morning, you could hear the sounds of the Calhoun Rock Band echoing throughout the school, hear Kennedy’s orchestra on the third floor, and see the BMB students dressed up. But why?

In our district, there are many advanced placement, or AP, classes available for students to take starting in sophomore year, and many students take advantage of enrolling in these and earning college credits in high school. Over this past year, 74% of the graduating class took an AP class, and 52% of the graduating class scored a 3 or higher on at least one AP. Due to these statistics, the Bellmore-Merrick CHSD was awarded with AP Medium-Sized District of the Year. AP students from throughout the CHSD visited Mepham for this honor, and there were performances by MephAcapella as well as the Calhoun Rock Band. All three high schools were showcasing what they do best for the special visitor, Terry Redican, who is the vice president of AP program delivery at College Board. 

Redican concluded the ceremony by presenting superintendent Mr. Harrington with the award and a banner. Congratulations to all of the talented AP students in the district who helped attain this award!