The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

MLK: A week of service

To start off our MLK week of service on Tuesday January 16, compliments were handed out to students in their English class. These compliments brighten people’s day and serve as a reminder for students around the school that they are worth so much more than they think. Junior class president, Jake Classie, says, “It was very nice to see that our English teachers took time out of their day to make ours better.”

Additionally, each student participated in something called “The Human Domino” which exemplifies a chain of commonalities amongst students in their gym classes by the linking of arms. This was an interesting experience, as many students had to step out of their comfort zones in order to participate in the activity. Many were able to link arms with someone they were just familiar with – not someone they’re normally friends with – and connect with them both physically by linking arms, and emotionally through their commonality. As the chain continued to grow, the interconnectedness shined, revealing the deeper meaning behind the activity: everyone is unified in one way or another. Reflecting on the activity, Junior Melanie Arcos stated, “It was refreshing and fun to do something new in our PE classes.” Senior Catherine Chow thought “The activity gave people the chance to get to know others and make new friends.”

Furthermore, students received a presentation by the leadership class joined with some of the Mepham student ambassadors about MLK and how he was a big advocate for not only racial equality, but food scarcity as well. This 25 minute presentation allowed students to grasp a deeper understanding of MLK’s impact on all types of minority groups, in this case those who are impoverished, and understand the impact they can have by making a difference. This overshadowing theme of each person being able to make a difference is one that MLK consistently preached and proved to be realistic, as he changed not only society in the present, but the world for hundreds of years to come. It showed that students can start small by making a difference in their home community and that is an accomplishment in and of itself. 

Finally, on Friday students around Mepham got a chance to see inspirational Martin Luther King Jr. quotes posted around the walls. These quotes were inspirational and provided a deeper context into MLK and all that he did for our community. Dr. King was not only a legendary advocate for racial equality, but he also addressed other prominent problems such as food inequality and poverty in America.