The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Matt Yang: Salutatorian

Salutatorian Matthew Yang.
Courtesy of Yearbook
Salutatorian Matthew Yang.

Our hard working and determined Matt Yang has recently been announced as the class of 2024 salutatorian. Yang has been working tirelessly throughout his high school journey and expresses that this achievement was “a pleasant surprise” for him. He says, “I have always tried my best during high school, not necessarily just for the title, but I’m glad I was able to achieve this and make my parents proud.” He feels that his favorite class from his time at Mepham would be Advanced Science Research (ASR) with Dr. Kommor which introduced him to the first steps of conducting research during high school while also being pushed to be self-disciplined because of the work and commitment that comes with it. Yang expressed that Dr. Kommor “is a great teacher who genuinely cares about his students” and that “he was able to get introduced to science research through that class.” Additionally he hopes to pursue a field related to science research in the future. 

When asked about his greatest challenge throughout his high school years, he says that time management was difficult at times with balancing school work and extracurriculars. To the underclassmen, his main advice would be “to listen to your parents and teachers since they have more life experience. I received great advice from my parents and trusted teachers.” 

In  the future, Yang hopes to “attend a top university to major in computer science and math,” and hopefully work towards gaining a PhD later on. Congratulations, Matt, I wish you the best of luck!