The Student News Site of WC Mepham High School

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer

Welcoming Ms. Fonseca to Mepham

Christina Costalas
Mepham’s new English teacher and track coach, Ms. Fonseca.

With the start of the 2023-2024 school year Mepham High School has welcomed an abundance of new teachers and students. Here at the Buccaneer, we wanted to hear some newcomers’ perspective of the school, and what better person to ask than Ms. Fonseca. 

After student teaching with the Buccaneer’s very own Mrs. Castellano, she’s now begun to make her mark on Mepham. She’s a fresh new face in the field of English, and also the girls cross country coach. She described her first month at Mepham as “very eventful, exciting, and fun. Happy to be here.” She has a positive opinion of Mepham so far, but we want to know more about her personally, which starts with her inspiration to become a teacher. Overall she has had an abundance of influences but the one that stays the closest to her heart is her mother, a fellow teacher that has inspired her to follow in her footsteps. 

This path hasn’t been easy though as Ms. Fonseca has faced her fair share of challenges. According to her, the main one is staying organized. This is because she has so much to do, but nevertheless, she has stepped up and done her very best. Speaking of her very best, she is also an amazing athlete. This year she has become a vital part of the Mepham sports community as the new girls cross country coach. When asked about her favorite part, she had this to say “I love working with star athletes. I love coaching. I ran college track for two years and played college soccer for five years. I love sports and I’ve loved being around people who love sports.” After interviewing Ms. Fonseca herself, we asked her students how they felt about her. They had rave reviews, including one from a student in her 10H English Class, Mya Passanisi said “Ms. Fonseca is a very engaging teacher. She also makes our English class really exciting and fun. We’ve already read two short stories in her class and they have both been very exciting. I can’t wait to spend the year with her as my teacher.” We welcome Ms. Fonseca to Mepham and wish her the best of luck with her cross country athletes!